Unsliced loaf egg bread or Belgian Sprouted Grain
2 eggs (beaten)
1/4 cup almond milk
1/2 cup sliced strawberries (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon plant based margarine
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to taste (optional)
1/2 teaspoon Maple syrup to taste (optional)
Powdered or cane sugar (optional)
Beat eggs, then add the almond milk and vanilla. Put the blueberries and strawberries in a small separate bowl.
Cut a slice at least 2 inches (5 cm) thick.
Cut an opening at the bottom of the slice half way to the centre.
Gently fill the slice with the berries mixture.
In a deep dish, soak both sides of the slice in the egg mixture.
Coat pan with margarine or oil. Cook on each side for 2 – 3 min or until golden brown.
Serve with maple syrup, cinnamon and sugar to taste.
Fun Facts About French Toast
- The earliest recipe of French toast discovered,
dates back to 5th century BC Rome.
- A recipe resembling this delicious and simple dish,
was found in the ancient book of Apicius.
- The Romans called it “Pan Dulcis”. In France it’s called “Pain Perdu” and here in Quebec, we call it “ Pain Doré”.
- Blueberries promote healthy digestion, weight loss, stable blood sugar levels!
- The vitamin A, vitamin B-12, and selenium in eggs help promote a heathy immune system.